Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Board member says U.S. must take action in Sudan

The "grievous" human rights violations taking place in Darfur will not be resolved until world powers like the United States, the United Kingdom and France take decisive measures, said AU board of trustees member Mark Schneider during the latest installment of the Kennedy Political Union's Finest Faculty Lecture Series.

Schneider - who spoke on a variety of topics, including the history and future of the Peace Corps, plans for the reconstruction of Iraq, progress with the conflict in East Timor and AU's board of trustees - also serves and has served in numerous positions over the course of his career. He is currently senior vice president of the International Crisis Group, where he focuses on Latin American issues and post-conflict resolution.

He previously served as director of the Peace Corps and volunteered in El Salvador. He was elected to the board of trustees in May and currently serves on the Committee for Academic Affairs and advisory subcommittees for Athletics and International Relations.

The lecture was the first in a series called "Get on Board," which is aimed at helping students get to know their trustees "on a more personal level," said KPU Director Taylor Robinson.

"Mark Schneider provided an open forum for students with a trustee, and it was the first opportunity we have had to have an informal dialogue with someone of his worldview and perspective," she said.

Schneider said he was pleased to be working with the board to help address issues that are pertinent to the student body. He also cited the "very rare national trend" of extending voting rights to student trustees as evidence for not allowing the AU student trustee, whose selection is currently underway, to vote.