Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Family Weekend features arts, song and service for visitors

Cherie Booth Blair's speech was a part of AU's annual Family Weekend, which took place from Friday to Sunday. It offered a variety of events intended to give students and their families insight into the many different types of activities on campus.

Friday's events included a myriad of open classes for families to get a taste of academic life on campus; an AU neighborhood bus tour that took families to important sites, historic and otherwise, around Tenleytown; and a historical walking tour of campus. In addition, there was a women's soccer match against Lafayette College and the premiere performance of "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" by the Department of Performing Arts at the Greenberg Theatre.

Events for Saturday started at 8 a.m. with the fifth annual American Classic 5K: Race for Humanity, which was to benefit Habitat for Humanity. Then the annual Phil Reeves soccer match took place against Bucknell University. At 1 p.m., the Family Weekend Service Project, co-sponsored by Alpha Phi Omega and the Community Service Center, took place at a local elementary school. Volunteers planted, mulched and weeded the school grounds. Later in the day, the AU Gospel Choir put on a self-described "extravaganza" in the Kay Spiritual Life Center.

Sunday morning opened with a Sparkling Cider Brunch in the University Club. To conclude Family Weekend, all three of AU's a cappella groups put on a show in the Kay Spiritual Life Center.