Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

MGC to be renovated over summer

Over the summer of 2007, the first floor of Mary Graydon Center will be renovated to make it more "student friendly," according to Mike Elmore, senior director of the University Center.

The current plans, still being evaluated, include a plan to move the bathrooms currently located near the Tavern and to knock down that wall to create an open space into the Tavern, Elmore said. A giant glass wall would possibly separate the lounge and the Tavern.

"We're going to open up everything," Elmore said.

Another part of the plan involves relocating the information desk and newspaper holders at the entrance of MGC to open that space up as well, Elmore said. It is currently unknown where the newspaper holders will be moved to. The information desk will be moving back against the wall by the smaller lounge located near the side entrance closest to the Tavern.

Renovation plans also include repainting the Tavern's walls, replacing the Tavern's ceiling and making the Tavern floor only one type of material instead of the three it is now. It could become a dancing floor, Elmore said.

"We're going to capture the spirit of the second floor," he said. The second floor was renovated a couple of years ago, Elmore said.

Last summer, the "bridge project" aimed to connect the walkway to the Butler Pavilion with Mary Graydon, The Eagle previously reported. However, that plan was cancelled because "the cost was more than we have budgeted," Elmore said. "With the same money, we're going to do an overhaul of the first floor of Mary Graydon."

The plans will make Mary Graydon more accessible and better for students, Elmore said.

"This is supposed to be a place where students can come 24 hours a day, seven days a week," he said. "This is a student center."

However, some students say they think that the project is unnecessary.

"It's not needed," said Jaclyn Quercia, a freshman in the School of Communication.

She said she likes how the Tavern is a place to sit down and eat while the couches are a study area.

"It's fine as is," said Caitlin Pratt, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Some said the project might not work.

"AU is always trying to renovate to make facilities better, and it never quite works," said Meg Rowland, a senior in CAS.

However, Rima Davoudi, a senior in the School of Public Affairs, said she believes MGC could benefit from the project. The planners should make it "prettier and more welcoming," she said.

"[If it's] more welcoming, it's good for the university as long as it doesn't cost millions of dollars," she said.

Doug Robins, a freshman in SPA, said he thinks the building should be renovated. "It looks a little old-fashioned," he said. "It would be nice to have a new-age look. It's not that useful."

The project will begin directly after 2007 commencement and should be finished by the beginning of the fall 2007 term, Elmore said.

When finished, Elmore said he believes it will look like someone is always "home" in Mary Graydon.

"I always had this image that as a student center at 10 p.m., you look over, the lights are on and somebody is home," he said. "That's the feeling we need here"