Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Students practice interview skills virtually

Career Center offers program for student use in dorm, at center kiosks

Students can now better prepare themselves for job interviews with the implementation of the virtual mock interviewing program InterviewStream this fall at the AU Career Center.

InterviewStream allows students to undergo a mock interview in front of their own computer at any time, provided they have a computer with a webcam, by logging on to http://www.american.edu/careercenter. Students may also make an appointment at this site to use the two kiosks available at the Career Center with the technology on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m.

Francine Blume, director of experiential education at the Career Center, said 36 students have used the free system so far. She said it gives students the opportunity to practice on their own and then make an appointment with an adviser after discovering what they need to improve. Students can see simple mistakes they make so a career adviser can help them focus more on the content of their interview.

The interviewing program begins by offering the student a list of categories of different question types. Some of the choices are related specifically to a certain field of study, such as medical or business-related jobs, while other categories include "decision-making," "teamwork," "career goals" and "communication," all of which are areas that potential employers are interested in and will likely ask about during interviews. The system also allows students to have the computer randomly choose questions to ask.

The program then continues with a virtual employer who asks the student questions, with a total block of 30 minutes for the entire interview. Blume suggests that two-minute responses be used for each question.

"You don't want to ramble, but you don't want to be too short," she said.

All the while, the webcam records and saves multiple interviews, which users can replay or save and show to advisers, friends and family members who can offer advice. No students have reported sending their videos to potential employers, but Blume said she imagines this may be on the horizon.

Blume said she encourages students to dress the part during the mock interview process so they get a true sense of what a professional interview will be like.

"[This program] helps students see the hard reality of a real interview" while still learning ways they can improve, she said.

"You can see if you are slouching, snapping your gum or just looking nervous," Blume said.

Zach Siegel, program assistant for InterviewStream, said the questions are very helpful, as is the ability to watch yourself after the interview.

"You can see if your eyes are moving up to the ceiling and if you're saying 'um' a lot," Siegel said.

Josh Hattem, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs and the College of Arts and Sciences, said he tried the mock interviewing system about a month ago and found it to be a helpful tool.

"My biggest personal fault is how I stumble around a bit with my words and sometimes speak too slowly," Hattem said.

He said it is always good to see how someone can improve before going into a real interview.

"Watching yourself through the eyes of a camera helps you see how other people view you, too," he said.