Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Turks celebrate culture

The smells of baklava, hummus, dolma and other Turkish treats filled Pennsylvania Avenue on Sunday afternoon as locals and tourists gathered to celebrate the Turkish Festival.

Turkish vendors displayed books, jewelry, music, textiles, arts and crafts and other native products. In large white tents, visitors were able to view and buy Turkish goods and receive literature on the culture.

One vendor promoted "Bonbon," a monthly Turkish-English magazine for young children ages 6 to 12.

"The magazine's goal is to not let the Turkish and American people forget the Turkish culture," said Fatih Culha, the marketing director for the magazine.

Visitors were also exposed to Turkish culture through a tent showcasing "The Turkish-American Hour," an hour-long program featuring interviews, music and dance performances, news and other cultural programs. Tables were set up with pamphlets, and an e-mail list was available for people interested in receiving information.

"Our goal is to promote Turkey to Americans," said Goksin Careg, a host for the program.

Food vendors offered cuisine by restaurants such as Atilla's, Caf? Divon and Gulluoglu. Some foods available included the doner sandwich, an entr?e of sliced beef and lamb in pita with a hummus sauce; dolma, stuffed grape leaves; and lokma, fried dough balls in syrup. Visitors sampled the foods by purchasing tickets for $1 each.

Another highlight was the Turkish folk performances held on stage throughout the day featuring groups from Texas, South Carolina, North Carolina and the D.C. area. The audience watched traditional Turkish folk dances and music from various areas of Turkey, such as the Adiyaman and Black Sea regions.

"A lot of Americans are aware of Turkish culture. This [event] gives them an opportunity to see it in action," said Pinar Sahin-Wilson, a performer of the American Turkish Association Turkish Folk Dance Group based in Houston.

"We're volunteers, and in our spare time we study and share the culture," said Emrah Gokdag, also a performer for the ATA Turkish Folk Dance Group.

The Turkish festival proved to be a rewarding cultural experience, according to some AU students.

"I've never had much exposure to Turkish [things] before," said Abigail Kret, a freshman in School of International Service. "I really enjoyed the food and music and am glad that I came to the festival."

"The Turkish Festival allowed me to experience culture outside of my usual social realm," said Ryan Van Parys, a freshman in SIS.