Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

AU tuition increase follows slowing national trend

AU's tuition increase this year was the same as the national average increase in tuition of four-year private colleges across the country, according to Nana An, AU's executive director of Budget and Payroll.

AU's 2006-2007 tuition fee increase was 5.9 percent, or $1,238, according to An. However, after adjusting for inflation, this increase is only 2 percent, continuing a three-year trend of slowing tuition price increases, according to the College Board Web site.

Despite this, the fees for private colleges are still up from five years ago. Public schools saw an even steeper increase of 6.3 percent this year, according to the board's Web site.

The College Board reported that published tuition and fee charges at private colleges averaged $22,218 in 2006-07, while AU students paid $29,673 this year, according to AU's Web site.

According to a report on the College Board Web site that details average tuition fees in all the states, D.C. ranks the fourth most expensive. This report also shows a 3 percent average tuition increase in the District, a higher percentage than that of AU this year.

AU's average tuition increase over the past several years has been lower than tuition increases in other private schools in D.C. and throughout the country. AU refers to a list of 40 institutions while planning the budget to keep its tuition competitive, An said.

"One year, [the] increase might be higher or lower than the previous year," An said. "But these numbers show that AU is serious about keeping tuition increases as modest as possible."

While the university devotes 20 percent of its budget to financial aid packages and student scholarships, the financial aid aspect is a great burden because private universities receive no state funding, An said.

She said AU must advance to remain competitive and attract more students, referring to budget planning as a "balancing act" between remaining affordable and progressive.

Julie Weber, director of Housing and Dining Programs, said most increases to room and board costs are a result of internal costs.

"Fee increases are not necessarily due to changes that are made to housing and dining - they are simply unavoidable," she said.

Alexej Wesnofske, a freshman in the Kogod School of Business, said a school's living environment and facilities should match the high quality of education offered.

"I think the housing here is pretty good, so I am willing to pay the high tuition costs," Wesnofske said.

However, Joe Rotondi, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said he finds the high tuition unfair.

"Statistically, people who attend college contribute more to society and the workforce, so it should be made easier for people to afford to go," he said.

A town hall meeting was held on Oct. 3 where AU staff spoke with the community about the budget. Donald Myers, vice president of finance and treasurer, met with his staff last week to discuss tuition fees for the coming year, and there will be another town hall meeting Dec. 4 to debrief the AU community on information discussed at these meetings.