Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Campus briefs

AU named Truman Honor Institution due to high number of scholarships awarded

AU was named a 2006 Truman Honor Institution Monday with a tea-themed reception honoring four of AU's 11 Truman candidates, according to a Career Center press release.

AU's first Truman Scholar received the honor in l978, and there have been two winners from AU in the past two years, according to the press release.

The Truman Scholarship is a highly competitive award. Out of the thousands of students nationwide who apply for the scholarship, only 75 scholarships are awarded, the press release stated.

The scholarship awards $30,000 for graduate school to students wishing to pursue a career in public service.

Department of philosophy and religion to host conference about child social policies

The department of philosophy and religion will host the 16th annual McDowell Conference on Philosophy and Social Policy toward Children this Friday, according to a College of Arts and Sciences press release.

The event, which will take place at 1 p.m. in the McDowell Formal Lounge, will feature two sessions in which speakers from different colleges, companies and other organizations will discuss parent-child relationships and children's personal freedoms, the press release said.

The McDowell Conference is a product of the William Fraser McDowell Professorship, which was established in 1937 as a gift to the department of philosophy and religion, according to the press release.