Monday, Sept. 23, 2024
Christian Bale stars in 'Harsh Times,' a look at a war vet's homecoming.

'Harsh Times' for Bale's war veteran

The new drama "Harsh Times," opening this weekend, centers on Christian Bale's character Jim Davis, a military vet who returns to the streets of Los Angeles with few skills other than those of a trained killer. As Jim attempts to reintegrate himself into society, he is haunted by memories of war and the temptation to break all the society's rules that were foreign to him for so many years.

"Harsh Times" centers in part on the relationship between Jim and his best friend Mike (Freddy Rodriguez) and the extent both will go to achieve success and integration in a society of which they are on the outskirts.

"Harsh Times" is the creation of writer-director David Ayers, best known for the film "Training Day." "Harsh Times" is especially important to Ayers because of his many personal experiences that provided inspiration for the film. Although movie studios offered to produce the film, he funded it himself so that he could have complete creative control. As a result of the lower budget, "Harsh Times" was shot in 24 days with most shots taken on location, giving the film a gritty, realistic appearance.

Bale prepared for the film by familiarizing himself with the military and the Chicano culture by living in L.A. where his character grew up. Bale had wanted to work with Ayers on "Harsh Times" since he read the script and felt the personal nature of the film and the complexities of the characters involved. The low budget the cast and crew had to work with was such that "everyone had belief in it," Bale said. "This was a labor of love for pretty much everyone involved," and not something anyone did for money alone.

Bale said he thinks "Harsh Times" tackles aspects of human nature that most people find fascinating. His character, Jim Davis, is unique "because of his talent for physical violence," he said. Davis has to deal with learning how to turn off his military instincts and re-enter normal life as a citizen.

"Harsh Times" is also a more realistic portrayal of violence. Unlike many popular action flicks, the film shows people's propensity for violence as a human struggle to overcome our animal instincts and to evolve into something better.

Bale said he had little personal experience to aid him in the development of his character, since he has never been in the military or lived in a largely Chicano neighborhood.

"You don't have to be the real deal to spot a fraud," Bale said.

The most important task in acting is to make viewers believe that the actor is actually the character he is playing. To become Jim Davis, Bale studied Chicano and military culture and built up attitudes and mannerisms similar to those he saw. Bale stayed in character at all times while he was on set. He bonded with the other characters as Jim Davis - not as himself - so the chemistry between Jim and Mike would look real on camera.

Bale was in character to such an extent that after filming, Ayers commented that he had no idea who Bale really was because he had been acting the whole time.