Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

International brief: Taiwanese First Lady to be indicted on embezzlement, forgery charges

Taiwanese First Lady Wu Shu-chen is expected to be indicted on charges of embezzlement and forgery, according to The Washington Post.

Officials at the Taiwan High Prosecutor's office said they believe Wu embezzled the American equivalent of $450,000 over a period of four years by using forged receipts to claim expenses from a government slush fund for diplomatic purposes. Three aides to Wu's husband, Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian, face similar charges. Officials at the High Prosecutor's office said they believe Chen has been involved in corrupt activities, but refused to explain what crime the president is suspected of committing.

Leaders of the Nationalist Party, the main opposition to Chen's Democratic Progressive Party, called for the president to resign.

"He has lost the people's trust and respect, and, as he is burdened with scandals, he can no longer lead the people nor effectively represent the country," said Nationalist Party leader Ma Ying-jeou.