Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

New 'Fantasy' breaks RPG mold

There are certain stabilities in the video game world: Mario will always jump, "Grand Theft Auto" will always incite a rebellion from the Moral Majority and "Final Fantasy" will always live on.

At least that was supposed to be the case. After the lackluster performance of "Final Fantasy XI," Square Enix's foray into the Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game scene, and the constant delays of the highly anticipated "true" sequel to "Final Fantasy X," some doubted FFXII would make it to the gaming world. Even if it did, many worried a change in directors and producers midway through the title's completion might make for a title that couldn't stand up to the quality of past "Final Fantasy" games.

Well, all bets are off now with the release of "Final Fantasy XII" for the Playstation 2. Finally, users can get their grubby hands on one of the most sought after RPG games in the last few years. It lives up to the hype.

Taking a step in a radically new direction, "Final Fantasy XII" offers a new battle system devoid of random enemy encounters and obsessive button pushing, infusing the clich?d stories of saving the world with a refreshing twist. It will leave gamers wondering, "Where's my old 'Final Fantasy?'"

It's still there, just in a different form. Players will still encounter the same breathtaking graphics and jaw-dropping cinematic scenes. They'll still hear a great orchestral score, though it's lead by a composer other than Nobuo Uematsu for a change. And, most importantly, they'll still have a great time piloting characters through an epic story of revenge, freedom, a touch of love and, of course, great political debauchery.

There are some changes. Most notably is the battle system, which has undergone a radical transformation. As mentioned before, there are no more random battles. Instead every enemy is visible as characters wander around the world. In addition, there are no transitions to a battle screen; baddies are fought in the same place they were encountered. This all enforces a seamless integration of the whole story.

The License Board, similar to FFX's Sphere Grid, governs characters' advancement in stats and the like. Characters are no longer bound by stereotypical constructs of being a warrior or mage. Now, any character can take on any job, provided enough effort is placed to get them there.

Are there any downsides to the game? Potentially. For HDTV owners, a lack of progressive-scan options leaves the graphics (which are still great for a PS2 title) with a lack of shine that would have been possible with 480p. There are some camera issues because of a lack of an inverted camera option. And gamers who became used to being engrossed in character development may be left wanting more, since the story in FFXII focuses more on the world than the specific characters involved.

But other than these few complaints, there's nothing bad that can be said about FFXII. RPG gamers owe it to themselves to pick up this title and enjoy yet another "Final Fantasy"