Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024
Vikki Keys, right, said the Mall must be preserved as an 'oasis.'

NPS to renovate Mall

Public urged to give input on NPS Web site

The National Park Service unveiled a new planning effort Wednesday that marked the beginning of a major overhaul of the National Mall and other sites maintained by the NPS.

Vikki Keys, superintendent of the Mall and Memorial Parks, said the goal of this new effort is to "keep the monuments as beautiful and accessible as possible."

While a plan of action has not yet been developed, the NPS launched a new Web site - www.nps.gov/nationalmallplan - that encourages the public's input on all aspects of the Mall and what can and should be done to improve it.

Over 25 million people visit the National Mall each year. This number is greater than the number of visitors to the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone and Yosemite National Parks combined, according to an NPS press packet.

The new efforts will focus on practical and tangible projects, specifically rehabilitating and repairing worn-down facilities and space. The NPS is not looking to expand or develop new attractions at this point, Keys said.

"The National Mall is a completed work of civic art by legislation," she said.

Keys said it is important to preserve and protect the Mall.

"[The Mall] exists as a green oasis within a built urban environment," she said.

Visitors and all members of the general public are encouraged to share their thoughts on the matter, Keys said.

"Over the coming months, the public will have many opportunities to participate in the planning process," said Mary Bomar, director of the NPS Northeast Region.

The planning process will last through the end of 2007, Keys said.

The renovation is the "most comprehensive look at the National Mall in over one hundred years," she said.

While previous development plans for the Mall and monuments have been more specific and focused on the addition of new monuments and memorials, this plan will look at issues more from a visitor's point of view, Keys said.

Lynn Scarlett, deputy secretary of the Department of the Interior, described the Mall as "America's front lawn" and a place "where history is both made and celebrated."

The Trust for the National Mall is responsible for raising private funds to supplement the federal money allotted to the undecided budget for the project. The budget for the initial planning process will be approximately $800,000, Keys said.

John Akridge, chairman of the Trust for the Mall, said the Mall has historically been a major motivator for private donations. The Mall is far overdue for a renovation and repair of outdated facilities the NPS oversees, he said.

The NPS encourages people to visit their new Web site to learn more about the ongoing project and to contribute their views and ideas, Keys said.

There will be a national symposium to further promote the public's involvement in planning the future of the Mall Nov. 15. The symposium will be held at the Naval Heritage Center, which is part of the U.S. Navy Memorial.