Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

SG Senate passes transparency bill

The Undergraduate Senate passed legislation yesterday, a bill on the establishment of open government.

The bill was sponsored by College of Arts and Sciences Senator Peter Wahlberg and was established to facilitate better communication between the legislative and executive branches of Student Government and between the SG and the university community.

Wahlberg said the bill doesn't have a great deal of relevance to AU students, but the SG needs a "framework of accountability."

"If the administration knows that the students don't trust us, they will know our bargaining power is decreased," he said.

Debate ensued over boundaries of what is necessary for the general public to know. An amendment to the open government bill was presented jointly by Class of 2009 Senator Josh Cahan and Vice President Pat McGill to strike a sentence stating, "Students have the absolute right to know the activities of members of the Student Government."

The bill was passed after the previously mentioned sentence was omitted, but still urges a fostering of better communications and more openness within SG.

"I like the idea - I just don't think it's very practical right now," said Cahan, who opposed the bill.

He could not be reached for comment to explain why he believes the bill is impractical.

It was "really good that we passed it ... really good that we actually did our job," said Class of 2010 Senator David Carpenter.

President Ashley Mushnick urged the Undergraduate Senate to attend the open meeting with the presidential search consultant hired to assist the university in the process of finding a new president. The meeting is open to all and will take place this Thursday at 7 p.m. in Mary Graydon Center rooms 3 and 4.

"This may be one of the last chances you have for feedback," Mushnick said.

She also said students should raise their voice because a new president will have an impact on them, she said.

Students will be given the opportunity to talk to the consultant about what direction AU is heading toward in terms of standards and what is needed for the university.

Also in the Senate, John Cipriani, a sophomore in College of Arts and Sciences and School of Public Affairs, was nominated for one of the vacant 2009 seats. A 2008 seat was filled by a unanimous vote by Caleb Smith, an SPA student.

Smith said he looks forward to his forthcoming role as a senator and would like to "fulfill the needs of [his] class that are underrepresented right now."

The next Undergraduate Senate meeting will be Nov. 19 at 2:30 in Kogod 118.