Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Study shows independent voters on rise

A recent study released by AU's Center for the Study of the American Electorate showed an increase in the number of voters registering as independents from 14.4 percent in 2002 to a record high of 16.7 percent.

This increase in the number of independent voters will benefit the Democrats in the short run, according to Curtis Gans, the center's director and lead researcher.

"The rise of independents will benefit the Democrats in the short run because they are only slightly less unhappy ... with the policies of the Bush administration," Gans said in an e-mail.

There are many reasons why voters are registering as independents. According to Gans, one reason is the loss of confidence in the major parties, partly because of gridlock.

In addition, there has been a nearly three-decade misalignment of the major parties, with one far to the right of the center and the other without a durable message, Gans said. Lastly, there is a failure of both parties, save that of the Republicans among the religious right, to build sustaining and effective grassroots organizations.

Some AU students who are independent agree with the reasons Gans listed to join the party.

"The reason I am independent is because I don't completely agree with either party," said Lauren Harriman, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences. "I don't want to be forced to vote for a certain party member. We live in a free country, and I believe I should vote freely."

Riaz Virani, a freshman in the School of International Service, said he believes people look toward the charisma of a leader rather than the policies of his or her group.

"As an independent voter, I don't completely agree with either aspect of each major party platform," Virani said. "Even though I would lean more toward the Democrats, I would support John McCain because he tends to take a more moderate stance on issues and he seems honest."

The report, which was based on 13 of the 28 states that require partisan identification in addition to the District of Columbia, shows that 31 percent affiliate themselves with the Republicans, whereas 37 percent identify themselves as Democrats. In addition, with the increase of independent voters, Gans predicted this would help Democrats gain 15 seats in the House and six in the Senate to achieve majorities. In the midterm elctions, Democrats gained 28 seats in the House and six in the Senate, according to The Washington Post.

According to College Democrats President Clare Allenson, Democrats seem to represent the majority of AU's student body based on membership in campus political groups.

"I'm not sure about actual percentages - in general I would say our campus has more Democrats," she said in an e-mail.

Matt Welsch, a freshman in CAS, said his views align more with Democrats than Republicans.

"In addition, I have the opportunity to vote in the primaries as well as being able to volunteer in the voting station," he said.

While more students are Democrats, the Republicans at AU still hold a voice within the student body, said Will Haun, vice president of the College Republicans.

"I would say that the student body is predominantly liberal, which there are a lot of versions of," he said.

Ashley Williams, a freshman in SIS, said the Democrats are too involved in the government.

"Democrats generally solve problems through government intervention," she said. "I don't believe government is needed in every situation to make a decision."

According to the report, an estimated 68 percent of eligible citizens were registered for Tuesday's election. This does not deviate from the number registered in 2002.

"Turnout is likely to exceed the most recent high of 42.1 percent in 1982, but probably fall short of the previous benchmark of 47 percent in 1970," Gans said in the report.