Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

International brief: Iran blocks access to YouTube.com, other English language sites

Iran's government recently blocked access to video-sharing Web site YouTube.com along with several other Web sites, according to the Associated Press.

The group Reporters Without Borders claimed the Iranian government blocked the site since around the beginning of December. Additionally, the group said, the government blocked the New York Times Web site since Friday and the English version of Wikipedia between Friday and Sunday, according to the AP.

In a statement, Reporters Without Borders said the Iranian government has increased their censorship of the Internet.

"The government is trying to create a digital border to stop culture and news coming from abroad - a vision of the Net which is worrying for the country's future," the group's statement read.

Internet users who visit any blocked Web site in Iran get the message "On the basis of the Islamic Republic of Iran laws, access to this Web site is not authorized" on their Web browser, according to the AP.