Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

National brief: Yellow line Metrorail train strikes two, kills one

A Metrorail train traveling on the Virginia portion of the yellow line struck two Metro workers Thursday, leaving one dead and the other critically injured, according to The Washington Post and NBC4.com.

Leslie A. Cherry Jr., 52, and Matthew Brooks, 36, were conducting a routine inspection of the tracks between the Huntington and Eisenhower Avenue stations when the train hit them. Cherry was killed on impact, and Brooks was critically injured, according to NBC4.com.

The train, which was not in service at the time of the accident, was traveling from Huntington to a Metro rail yard in Alexandria. According to preliminary evidence by the National Transportation Safety Board, which is conducting an investigation of the incident, the train's operator sounded a horn twice to warn track workers of its approach.

Five similar incidents have occurred during Metro's history, including two incidents since October 2005, according to The Post.