Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Prof attendance policy undefined

Rules abused by some; most make effort to utilize class time

John Renga, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said two of his chemistry classes were canceled this semester simply because his professor didn't think chapter 13 in the course textbook was worth studying.

"Don't show up for the next two classes," Renga said his professor announced one day. And so Renga, along with the rest of his chemistry class, didn't.

"I felt more cheated on the exam, having much less information to be tested on," he said.

According to AU's Web site, professors must either schedule extra assignments or extra meeting sessions when they are forced to cancel classes. Those professors must then inform the dean or the department chair of their absence and attempt to obtain a substitute for the class. In the event that a substitute cannot be acquired, "notices concerning the cancellation [will be] posted conspicuously in the room where the class meets," according to AU's academic regulations.

Other students have had experiences similar to Renga's. They have said, however, that the class cancellations have been both few in number and announced beforehand.

Laura Whiston, a sophomore in CAS, said she thinks one professor canceled class this semester.

"I'm not sure why. We received an e-mail the night before," she said. "I've never really had a major problem with [classes being canceled] ... [but] if it were more times, I would definitely be upset."

Other students expressed similar sentiments over the prospect of professors canceling several classes instead of just one or two.

"I don't think a professor should be able to cancel a lot of classes because people are paying a lot of money," said Carly Boyce, a freshman in the School of Communication.

The professor attendance rules were clearly outlined, said an adjunct professor who wished to remain unnamed. However, forces outside of the professor's control compromised his ability to sufficiently compensate his students for missed classes.

Unavoidable circumstances had already caused him to cancel several of his 8:10 p.m. classes. "[The program director] sent me an e-mail to not cancel class" unless a substitute could fill in, he said. "But no one could teach an 8:10 class."

AU fails to explicitly state on their Web site a definition of what "too many classes" is, what constitutes a class cancellation or the consequences a professor would face for canceling too many classes.

"Professors are given a wide latitude on what to do with classes," said SOC professor Rick Rockwell. "For instance, I teach various production classes. I know my students don't always have time to use their days for production time ... [so] I give [them] class time ... to complete projects independently."

What will hurt professors most is if classes are canceled and no attempt is made to either secure a substitute or schedule extra class time, the adjunct professor said. More communication between adjuncts and program directors might help solve problems concerning class cancellations, he said.

"I never saw the program director until last week," he said. "I never had any contact with her except by e-mail. ... [AU] has to offer more information to adjunct faculty at the beginning of classes. And at the end of the semester, the university should offer more time for make up classes."

AU students appear to appreciate a class cancellation once in a while. One of Boyce's professors canceled class so she and her fellow students could complete a writing assignment, and Whiston's professors, like Rockwell, will occasionally allot class time for project work, she says.

Canceling too many classes can lead to resentment among students, said College Writing Program Director John Hyman.

"Of course, there are unforeseen circumstances," he said, noting sickness and family crises.

But ultimately, students will realize that missing class is detrimental to their education.

"I want professors to cancel classes, but in the long run ... it's good that they don't," Boyce said.