Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Top 10: Epic music videos

10. Lionel Richie "Hello"

When it comes to our world's most cherished documents of the pursuit of love, nothing comes even remotely close to Richie's "Hello." Playing the role of his life, Lionel Richie proves quite adept at being a selfless romantic; he plays a professor who's fallen in love with a blind student, and can't bring himself to say "hello" to her, even though she probably wouldn't see who said it. The end, when she shows him a clay sculpture of his head, will bring even the noblest of people to tears by this modern day "Wuthering Heights."

9. 2pac and Dr. Dre "California Love"

Painting a picture of post-apocalyptic California, which to director Hype Williams is eerily similar to the "Mad Max" series, 2Pac and Dr. Dre's "California Love" is hip-hop's most epic video, discounting that Sisqo video with the dragon. Besides all of the hummers, desert chases, and helicopters' shining spotlights, the video features one of the best moments in all of video: 2Pac giving a high five to Dr. Dre while simultaneously shaking his butt, all while still looking thoroughly amazing.

8. A-Ha "Take on Me"

Man, what if you crossed over into a different dimension? What if that dimension was animated? And what if it contained a cute boy? Then it may be one of the most epic videos of all time, "Take on Me."

7. Smashing Pumpkins "Tonight, Tonight"

For our generation, "Tonight, Tonight" was our first exposure to art cinema. A couple takes a trip to the moon, the Smashing Pumpkins play amongst clouds and stars, and somehow there are extravagant amounts of stop-motion animation used. All in all, nothing was more epic to us when we were nine.

6. Bonnie Tyler "Total Eclipse of the Heart"/ Celine Dion "It's All Coming Back to Me Now"

These two videos have one thing in common: they'd be funny if they were parodies, but both Bonnie and Celine had the most genuine of intentions when producing their respective videos. Featuring motorcycle accidents during a torrential downpour, flowing white gowns in white mansions lit solely by candlelight, ninjas, prep school boys, and flocks of doves, it's clear that both Bonnie and Celine know exactly what things make a great video, and furthermore, that it is essential to somehow incorporate all of them into one video.

5. Dio "Holy Diver"

Just take a gander at these lyrics: "You can see his stripes, but you know he's free." What sort of mythic man/beast can Dio be referring to? Luckily, this video answers that question and others. For instance, have you ever wondered what sort of sword skills Dio has? Answer: awesome ones.

4. Guns 'n Roses "November Rain"

No one in the world has ever had to deal with as much strife as Axl Rose. And while we may never live through those dark November days like he has, "November Rain" brings us somewhat closer to understanding his struggles. If your wife died on your wedding day, wouldn't you cry tears of November rain? Also Slash just annihilates with his twin guitar solos.

3. The Jacksons "Can You Feel It"

"In the beginning the land was pure." It was also completely dark and sweet graphic-less, apparently. Luckily, the Jacksons were sent down from heaven to give the gift of light to humanity. From the genius of the director of "Tron" comes this epic journey through early computer animation. The video's so amazing, in fact, that they thought it was appropriate to make the sound effects louder than the actual song. But let's be honest, you don't actually need to hear this gold-dusted masterpiece to feel like you're an amorphous blob on the top of the world - you just need to feel it.

2. R. Kelly "Trapped in the Closet"

"Then he slowly looks up at her and now her face is red as hell, he's breathing real hard, movin' closer, she says ' hon you don't look so well. And then he says move, she says no, he says move, she says no, BITCH MOVE!!! she moves, and then, he looks at the cabinet, he walks to the cabinet, he's close to the cabinet, now he's opening the cabinet. Now pause the movie cos what i'm about to say to ya'll is so damn twisted, Not only is there a man in his cabinet, but the man... is a MIDGET!"

1. Meat Loaf "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)"

Clocking in at almost eight minutes, this is the most epic music video of all time. The unchallenged king of Wagnerian rock made an unbelievable comeback with this 1993 hit. The video is a rock and roll Beauty and the Beast, with clear references to Jean Cocteau's "La belle et la b?te." It has everything an epic music video needs: a love story, motorcycles, corrupt cops that want to separate star crossed lovers, empty mansions and direction by Michael Bay.

- Complied by The Scene Staff