Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

University to select firm to update Web site in effort to attract more prospective students, moderni

The effort to revamp AU's Web site to improve the school's Web presence is progressing, according to David Taylor, AU's presidential chief of staff.

According to a recent campus e-mail message from interim President Neil Kerwin, an investment in AU's Web presence comparable to other institutions will be made.

This includes "a strategic analysis of site objectives, audience needs and content requirements, an analysis of management, staffing, structure and skills required of our campus communications and marketing professionals, selection, purchase and installation of an enterprise-wide content management system," Kerwin said in an e-mail.

At AU, many students express disapproval of the current Web site's layout.

"The visual format definitely needs to be changed," said Kenzie Harrick, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences. "It looks outdated."

The current Web site is also visually ineffective, according to Leah Munnelly, a freshman in CAS.

"The Web site should be visually attractive," she said. "It's very dull."

Early last spring, a committee formed under School of Communication Dean Larry Kirkman examined AU's Web presence and submitted a series of recommendations. Kerwin accepted the recommendations in September and a request for proposals was issued to solicit potential firms to design the Web site in October. The committee is expected to choose the firm to design the Web site by late December, according to Taylor.

The opportunities the Web offers today are useful to institutions, Taylor said.

"A number of institutions can redo their look," Taylor said. "Here, we are making sure we are using the Web appropriately and all the technology it has to offer."

The new features will allow visitors and students to navigate AU's Web site more easily and will better suit the needs of students, faculty, prospective students and visitors, according to Taylor.

An appealing Web site is a useful marketing tool, according to Student Government President Ashley Mushnick.

"Currently the Web site is unattractive," Mushnick said. "It is the most common marketing tool and is a major advertising component for prospective students. It is time they bring the Web site back to the cutting edge."

Shiza Farid, an AU Ambassador and freshman in the School of International Service, said an updated Web site will help attract prospective students.

"By improving the actual setups to the virtual tours on the Web site and including current students' perspectives on their classes and the school itself, it will be easier for prospective students to identify if they like the school or not," Farid said.

The next phase of the project will include audience research, creating the appearance of the Web site, establishing a committee to work with the vendor and creating management and staff for the Web site, according to Taylor.