Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Campus breifs

WCL distinguished scholar to host panel on discrimination

The Washington College of Law will host Gay McDougall, a distinguished scholar in residence at WCL and an expert on UN independent minority issues, according to a press release.

McDougall will introduce a panel of other experts on discrimination in an event titled "International Efforts to Combat Racial Discrimination," on Tuesday, Jan. 30, according to the press release.

"This high-level international conference falls within the purview of the annual Founders' Celebration, during which WCL, through more than 50 conferences each spring, assembles scholars, judges, lawyers, government officials, international civil servants and thousands of individuals to address key issues of our time," Claudio Grossman, dean of the Washington College of Law, said in the press release.

The panel will look at legal frameworks and regional mechanisms that monitor international discrimination.

-KYRA SMERKANICH

AU budget committee announces tuition increase

On Thursday the University Budget Committee held a town hall meeting to discuss the budget for the 2008 and 2009 fiscal years. Co-chairs Ivy Broder, interim provost, and Don Myers, vice president of finance, announced a 15-point plan to determine the budget for the upcoming years.

Their top point was a 4.5 percent to 6.5 percent projected increase in the cost of tuition and housing. They said they are basing the numbers off of university priorities and financial circumstances, comparative tuition data, financial market data, inflation projections and the state of the economy.

The plan is to allocate the increased tuition revenue into improvements for the university and will start by upgrading the university's Web presence, technology and promotional material, as a way to attract high-quality students and enhance AU's public image. Money will also go to improvements on the library and to the new School of Communication and School of International Service buildings.

Despite the planned growth of the university, Broder and Myers said they plan to keep freshman enrollment about the same while slightly decreasing transfer student enrollment. They said they anticipate increased applications and selectivity for freshman and an expansion of the abroad program.

-JANE MALLEN