Monday, Sept. 23, 2024
The royal Helen Mirren is almost a sure bet to be nominated for Best Actress for "The Queen" in this year's Academy Awards.

Golden Globe winners, box office hits vie for Oscar nods

A new year is upon us, and for many it means a slew of failed New Year's resolutions. For a few others, particularly the Helen Mirrens and Eddie Murphys of the world, it means awards season is once again in full swing. The season officially kicked off last Monday at the 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards, presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. The Globes are generally considered a good predictor of Academy Award winners the following month. And let's be honest, folks - when talking movie industry awards, only one thing really matters: the Oscars. The Academy announces nominations tomorrow morning, but The Eagle already has its predictions.

Best Actor

Usually, this is an easy category to predict, but the selection is weak this year. Watch out for Leonardo DiCaprio to nab a nomination for either "Blood Diamond" or "The Departed." Forest Whitaker should be up for "The Last King of Scotland." Ryan Gosling and Peter O'Toole have been getting favorable reviews for little-seen films "Half Nelson" and "Venus," respectively. Will Smith's turn in "The Pursuit of Happyness" may land him a nomination. Sacha Baron Cohen could get picked for his hilarious work in "Borat." Don't count out Aaron Eckhart for "Thank You for Smoking" or Ken Watanabe for "Flags of Our Fathers," though.

Best Actress

Unlike the actor category this year, this one is much clearer. Helen Mirren's work in "The Queen" is a lock. Other surefire nominees (because why not have three major actresses of our time vying for the prize in one year?) are Meryl Streep for "The Devil Wears Prada" and Judi Dench for "Notes on a Scandal." Penelope Cruz put out the performance of a lifetime in "Volver" and Kate Winslet proved that she is an acting force to be reckoned with in "Little Children." Dark horses in this race: Maggie Gyllenhaal for "Sherrybaby" and Annette Bening for "Running with Scissors."

Best Supporting Actor

Two words: Eddie Murphy. He is a standout and presents career-defining work in "Dreamgirls." Other contenders include two members of "The Departed" cast: Jack Nicholson and Mark Wahlberg. Djimon Hounsou for "Blood Diamond" is another safe bet. After years of work forgotten because of his movie-star good looks, Brad Pitt is getting recognized for his strong work in "Babel." Alan Arkin's turn as the curmudgeonly grandfather in "Little Miss Sunshine" seems to be a winner as well, but don't count out the work of Jackie E. Haley in "Little Children," either.

Best Supporting Actress

"Dreamgirls" takes the cake in the supporting categories this year, as Jennifer Hudson (yes, the former American Idol) is the only sure thing this year. Rinko Kikuchi gave an amazingly profound performance as a deaf Japanese schoolgirl in "Babel." Kikuchi's castmate Adriana Barraza seems to be garnering buzz as well. And because the Academy loves a good British/Australian accent, Cate Blanchett seems a strong possibility for "Notes on a Scandal." As for the last spot? Perhaps Emily Blunt for "The Devil Wears Prada," the young and precocious Abigail Breslin for "Little Miss Sunshine" or Catherine O'Hara for "For Your Consideration."

Best Director

Another clash of the titans. Martin Scorsese is a sure thing for "The Departed," as is Clint Eastwood for both "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters from Iwo Jima." Because of all the buzz surrounding the film in other categories, "Dreamgirls" director Bill Condon is a strong possibility as well. Stephen Frears is a must for "The Queen," as is Paul Greengrass for "United 93." Alejandro Inarritu's work for "Babel" is an essential nod, considering the film's strong showing at film festivals and awards ceremonies throughout the year. Don't be surprised by a posthumous nod for Robert Altman for "A Prairie Home Companion." Pedro Almodovar is not out of the question for "Volver," and neither is Todd Field for "Little Children."

Best Picture

It all comes down to this race. Three films stand out this year, based solely on the Globes buzz surrounding them: "Babel," "Dreamgirls" and "Letters from Iwo Jima." The first two have been building buzz for months, and just when many thought momentum had waned, both walked away with the top prizes last week. Clint Eastwood's "Letters" is another surefire bet, as it has gained attention in recent weeks, surpassing even the work of Martin Scorsese's "The Departed," another contender for Best Picture. "Little Miss Sunshine" seems to be making a competitive bid for a position among the best films of the year, as does "The Queen." Other contenders include "Little Children," Guillermo Del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth," "Borat" and "United 93"