Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

School closures based on road conditions

Various factors, including road conditions affecting employees and students living off-campus, are considered when the choice is made to delay or cancel classes, according to Jorge Abud, the assistant vice president of facilities and administration.

"Our decision during a snow event is primarily based on area road conditions, since we recognize that off-campus students, as well as employees, need to be able to travel to the university in order to carry on a typical day," Abud said in an e-mail.

Although there are not strict guidelines as to when it is appropriate to delay or cancel classes, Abud said there are general rules.

"We decide each case individually but our experience is that an accumulation of more than six inches in a 12-hour period of time will make if difficult for area road crews to sufficiently clear roads," Abud said. "We rarely have those cases."

Although the District has not had any large snowstorms yet this year, Abud said the university is prepared to deal with conditions if it happens.

"We have had good plans in effect for a long time," he said in an e-mail. "Each year we evaluate our plans and how they have worked and make adjustments. I think we get a little better each year by learning from our experiences."

Abud also said the university could delay operations, rather than canceling them.

"When we are closed, it means that all classes and events are canceled and non-essential staff does not need to report to work," he said. "A delay works the same as a closing, except that it is in effect only until a designated time. If we announce that we will open at 11 a.m., that means that a class scheduled to begin at or after 11 a.m. will be held. A class that started before 11 a.m. will not be held, even if its ending time is after 11."

Even if the university is officially closed due to weather, there are certain departments on campus that stay open.

"A group of staff are designated 'essential' for weather events and expected to report to work," Abud said in an e-mail.

According to Abud, these essential staff members include employees who clear snow and spread melting compounds and those that provide services, such as facilities, public safety, dining services, transportation, library, information technology and sports center employees.

Students can find out if classes are canceled or delayed by calling AU's information line at (202) 885-1100, or check the university Web site, according to Abud. Students can also find out if classes are canceled by listening to local broadcast media. For students who live on campus, Abud said residence hall desks are informed and usually post a sign.

AU announces a delay or cancellation at 6 a.m. for morning classes and by 3 p.m. for evening classes, Abud said.

"If things occur at a different time of day we adjust as appropriate," Abud said. "Our goal is to announce a decision about two hours before it is to take effect."

Lindsey Pullen, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, said she felt the university does not cancel classes as often as it should.

"They should do it when they don't," Pullen said. "They should do it more than they do now."

Craig Nadeau, a junior is SPA, said he agrees with the university's decisions.

"I don't think we've had weather bad enough to warrant them closing it," he said.