Thursday, June 27, 2024
The AU wrestlers were unable to take down Pitt-Johnstown.

Wrestling breaks streak with loss against Pitt-Johnstown

The American University wrestling team had two matches over the weekend, going one-for-two with a win over Sacred Heart in Fairfield, Conn., on Friday and a loss at home against Pittsburg-Johnstown on Sunday.

The Eagles began the weekend with a big win over Sacred Heart, tallying a team score of 28-19. Junior Josh Glenn, AU's first undergraduate All-American wrestler, pinned Kevin Fox in the 197 for the Eagles' only pin of the weekend. Redshirt freshman Mike Cannon (165) and sophomore Rudy Rueda (174) both gained victories through technical falls with scores of 25-10 and 25-9 respectfully.

On Sunday the wrestlers squared off against Pittsburg-Johnstown at home in Bender Arena. Though only in Division II, the fifth-ranked Pitt-Johnstown team proved to be a tough opponent for the Eagles. With the win, the Mountain Cats moved to 2-4 on the season against Division I opponents.

"They've got a good reputation," Glenn said. "Coach [Cody] really likes them because they always want to wrestle Division I teams. That's a positive factor if you're a [Division] II team because it means that you want to get better and you want your guys to get better."

The Eagles had an early lead in the match with a decision win by freshman Jasen Borshoff (125). The match stayed very close with key decision wins by juniors Damian Swietlik (149) and Glenn. However, American struggled in the heavyweight bout when redshirt junior Evan Murtaugh, who usually wrestles at 184, fell to Jon Neese to give Pittsburg-Johnstown the 23-17 win.

Inexplicably absent in both of the weekend matches for American was usual heavyweight starter Adam LoPiccolo. The junior, who is currently ranked ninth nationally for heavyweights, was missed on both sides of the mat, as he spent a year wrestling for Pitt-Johnstown before coming to AU. The team could not comment on his absence at the match.

The Eagles return to the mat on Sunday against Rutgers and are set to face local rival Maryland next week, both opportunities to get back to their winning ways.

"Rutgers always has strong, athletic guys, so that match-up is always fun," Glenn said. "Maryland is our biggest rivalry, because there's not too many Division I schools in the area, so we're looking forward to that one as well"

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.