Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

AU Presidential Search Timeline

Oct. 10, 2005 The board of trustees fires President Benjamin Ladner following an investigation into his alleged misuse of university funds. Then-Provost Neil Kerwin is named acting university president.

July 10, 2006 The board of trustees announces in a press release that it will formally begin the search for a "permanent president" in September.

Sept. 25 The Presidential Search Committee holds its first formal meeting.

Oct. 19 The Presidential Search Committee announces the creation of a presidential search Web site and an e-mail address where members of the university community can send in nominations of possible presidential candidates.

Nov. 2 The board of trustees holds a town hall meeting to discuss issues with the AU community. At the meeting, board and Presidential Search Committee chairman Gary Abramson announces the Committee hired Edward W. Kelley and Partners to help conduct the search.

Mid-Late November The Presidential Search Committee holds meetings with students, staff and other university constituent groups to gain feedback on the qualities the university wants in a president and the features the university wants highlighted in recruitment advertising.

February 2007 The Committee will begin reviewing the applications of presidential candidates.

March 2007 The Committee will complete final review of the candidate pool and begin scheduling the first round of interviews.

April 2007 The Committee will conduct its first round of interviews.

April-May 2007 The Committee will discuss and select finalists for the position. The board of trustees will select a final choice and extend an offer to that person.

June 2007 The board of trustees will announce its final selection for president.

SOURCES: The Eagle, AU's Presidential Search Web site (http://www.american.edu/presidential_search)