Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Campus calendar

Thursday, Feb. 22

"U.S. Education Law and Its Human Rights Impact" 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Washington College of Law, room 603 This one-day conference will address mandatory education in the U.S. public education system, which does not guarantee equal education but equal access for all. For more information, call (202) 274-4075.

"Women in the Global Context" Noon-1:15 p.m. WCL, room 524 This panel will focus on women's rights issues in the international context. The initial discussion will focus broadly on the state of women's rights globally. For more information, call (202) 274-4403.

Friday, Feb. 23

"Weak States and Neo-Populism in the Andean Region" 10-11:30 a.m. School of International Service Lounge Rene Mayorga, senior researcher at the Centro Boliviano de Estudios Multi-disciplinarios, will speak. For more information, contact Todd Eisenstadt at eisensta@american.edu.

Saturday, Feb. 24

Key Leadership Program Information Session 10 a.m.-noon Mary Graydon Center, room 4 Learn more about this MPA program for executives. R.S.V.P. required. For more information, contact Nina Allen at nallen@american.edu or call (202) 885-3857.

"Sound the Trumpets: Music for a Royal Occasion" 8 p.m. Katzen Arts Center, Abramson Family Recital Hall Through Feb. 25 The AU chamber singers present music of Purcell and Handel from London's Baroque era. Conducted by Daniel Abraham. Tickets cost $5 to $15. For more information, contact the Department of Performing Arts at (202) 885-3420.

Tuesday, Feb. 27

Academic Support Center Workshop: "Graduate Comprehensive Exams" 5:30-7 p.m. Mary Graydon Center, room 205 Learn strategies for remembering information and for taking your exams. No registration required. For more information, call (202) 885-3360.

Wednesday, Feb. 28

"Gifts Differing: Contributions of the World's Religions to our Understanding of Suffering, Death and Grief" 9:55 a.m. Kay Spiritual Life Center Join Andrea Brenner's "Sociology of Birth and Death" class for a lecture and discussion given by Chaplain Gwen Hofmann of the Hospice and Palliative Care VNA of Southeastern Massachusetts.

Open Art Night 6-9 p.m. Katzen Arts Center, AU Museum Musicians and poets are invited to perform, while visual artists are invited to bring a piece of work to display. For more information, contact Joanna Woronkowicz at museum@american.edu.

"Social Networks for Young Entrepreneurs" 7 p.m. SIS Lounge This panel will feature AU alumni and current students who are entrepreneurs and will focus on how they build, use and nurture their social networks. For more information, contact Stacey Mallon at sm9745a@american.edu.