Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Decline in federal funding leads to alternate student employment

Despite $9.9 million decrease, students find part-time jobs

As federal work-study funds decline, many students across the country and at AU opt to work part-time.

Federal work-study funds have decreased by $9.9 million this academic year, bringing the total amount to $980.4 million, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education. This decrease is making it difficult for students to find work-study positions, according to the Chronicle. Despite the decrease, students at AU are finding it easier to find jobs for work-study and on or off campus jobs. At AU, students use the Human Resources Web site and work-study fairs to find work-study positions.

Cassandra Lucas, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, is a work-study student for the Department of Justice, Law and Society who said she had no problem finding and being hired for her job.

"I looked online and sent an e-mail with a cover letter and attached a resume," she said. "I was hired during my interview."

Finding a work-study job at AU's Admissions office was not difficult, said Gina Marini, a freshman in SPA.

"I handed in my resume at the work-study fair earlier this year and received a call from the Admissions Office, who offered me a job," Marini said.

With interest rates on loans to pay off, students who do not have work-study use help-wanted ads and the Job Corps Web site. They allow students and employers to create profiles to find work and for students to pay for expenses.

Rachel Worthington, a freshman in the School of International Service, was able to successfully use the Job Corps Web site to find work as a baby-sitter.

"I received 10 e-mails [and] three phone calls within the first day I set up my profile," Worthington said.

Convenience played a role in deciding to be a desk receptionist at Leonard Hall, Niles Anderegg, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said.

"Working as a desk receptionist, I am able to come down anytime," Anderegg said. "It is the shortest commute."

Students who plan to use some earnings from a part-time job on campus toward expenses increased to 29 percent this academic year - from 25.8 percent in 2000 - and students with off-campus part-time jobs increased to 24.3 percent this academic year from 21.9 in 2000, according to a national freshman survey released recently by the Higher Education Research Institute at the University of California in Los Angeles.

Mike Headley, a desk receptionist at Leonard Hall and sophomore in CAS, said in addition to saving, he spends his income on expenses.

"I save at least one-half to two-thirds of each check," he said. "I spend my money mainly on buying food on campus, groceries and when I go out to eat."

Choosing a job that was also suitable to needs was important, according to Ross Colebrook, a computer sales employee at Best Buy and a sophomore in SPA.

"I chose a job in computer sales because it pays $9 an hour and gives me a chance to get into computer repair, which is what I'd really like to do for a part-time job anyway," Colebrook said. "I spend my money on computer accessories, school expenses and the occasional movie or eating out"