Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Metal innovators love tour, despite criticism

Slayer, one of the world's most renowned metal bands, is currently touring in support of the release of their long-awaited and greatly anticipated album, "Christ Illusion." The band's 10th studio album, "Christ Illusion" is the first album to come out featuring the original Slayer lineup in 15 years.

Lead guitarist Kerry King is extremely pleased with the new release, the band's first album in 5 years.

"The coolest thing for the fans is that now they can buy a brand new record with the original lineup," King said.

"[This is] for all the new fans who came onboard in the '90s," he added.

Original percussion powerhouse Dave Lombardo has returned to the Slayer lineup. He left the band briefly in 1986 during the Reign of Pain tour and again in 1992, shortly after the release of their fifth studio album, "Seasons in the Abyss."

King lamented Slayer's generally negative press.

"[Critics] are bad guys. Period," King said. "We don't condemn or affirm anything. They always have to be on a side. If it were on CNN [the new album] would be a Pulitzer Prize winner."

In the past, Slayer has been called racist, fascist, and they have been compared to terrorists, just for starters. King pointed out that perhaps Slayer's greatest strength has been its political stoicism. Much of "Christ Illusion" maintains a common mention of the horrors of modern warfare.

"I write in such a generic way," King said. "I don't like bands that have an agenda. When they write a song, it's whatever they have on their mind that day. We don't think that's the right thing to do."

Regardless of the ongoing controversy centered on Slayer, King still manages to find joy in constant touring. Having just completed the Unholy Alliance Tour with the likes of Lamb of God, Mastadon, Children of Bodom and Thine Eyes Bleed, King looks forward to the upcoming tour.

"Some venues are bigger, some are smaller. We've played everything from huge arenas to small theatres. It's cool to do both so you don't get burned out," King said.

When asked about their style of live play, King emphasized their minimal use of theatrics.

"We don't really need them," he said. "When we play, I'm not running anywhere, I'm not jumping off of [things]."

In general, fans can take solace in the words of Kerry King that Slayer isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

King said of the future of Slayer, "Now we're looking for more streamlined performance and quality of riffs. I'm not looking to change the world with Slayer. This is what we do, and we know how to do it. I consider us the AC/DC of metal. We don't want to wait five years for another album and we'd like to tour a lot more"