Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Metro brief: D.C. government may pass law to ban job discrimination against ex-felons

Employers in the District will not be able to look at an applicant's criminal history until after a job offer is made if a proposed bill is passed by the D.C. City Council, according to The Washington Post.

If enacted, the Human Rights for Ex-Offenders Act would also allow an employer to only look at the last 10 years of an applicant's criminal record. The employer could only reject an applicant if an offense on the applicant's record has a "rational relationship" to the job he or she is applying for, according to The Post.

Advocates of the bill said it would eliminate discrimination against ex-offenders.

"We're asking [ex-offenders] to pay a debt already collected," Council Member Harry Thomas Jr., D-Ward 5, said.

Opponents of the bill said it might cause employers to not recruit inside the District borders.

"Employers fearful of lawsuits may recruit employees from outside the District to avoid possible negative consequences or simply move their recruiting offices just outside of D.C.'s borders," Barbara Lang, president of the D.C. Chamber of Commerce, said. "This would mean fewer jobs for D.C. residents, especially ex-offenders."

The bill has the support of Mayor Adrian Fenty, as well as six of the 11 council members currently in office. A vote on the measure had not yet been scheduled, according to The Post.