Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Metro brief: Police officers allegedly allowed protesters to vandalize Capitol Building

U.S. Capitol police allegedly allowed protesters to spray-paint graffiti on a portion of the Capitol Building's west steps during Saturday's anti-war rally, according to The Hill and NBC4.com.

Approximately 300 protesters spray-painted anarchist symbols on a portion of the steps after U.S. Capitol Police Chief Philip Morse and Deputy Chief Daniel Nichols told their officers to cede the area to the protesters, according to NBC4.com.

The report stemmed from a statement made by members of the USCP's chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police.

"The officers, who did their job both professionally and courageously, were ordered to withdraw by their officials and let the demonstrators have the area where the graffiti was later discovered," Andy Maybo, chairman of the U.S. Capitol Police FOP, said.

While Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., denied the report after meeting with Morse, other members of Congress continued to call for further investigation into the incident, according to The Hill.

"I call on Speaker Pelosi to launch an investigation to ensure the U.S. Capitol will be protected and to send a strong message that violent protests will not be tolerated," Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, R-Md., said in a press release Monday.