Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

National brief: Storm outbreak leaves at least 19 dead in Florida

At least 19 people died during what has been designated as the second-deadliest severe storm outbreak in Florida state history, according to The Associated Press.

The storm system, which swept through central Florida early Friday morning, concentrated most of its destruction along a 40-mile-long track through Lake, Seminole, Sumter and Volusia Counties, according to the AP.

Officials at the National Weather Service could confirm that at least one tornado did touch down. The tornado's damage was mainly concentrated in northern Lake and eastern Volusia Counties, although it also did damage in Seminole and Sumter Counties. All 19 of the confirmed deaths occurred in the Paisley and Lady Lake areas of Lake County. At least two victims were high school students, according to the AP.

The deadliest severe storm outbreak in Florida's history occurred when five tornadoes killed 42 people in the Orlando area during a two-day period in February 1998, according to the AP.

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist declared a state of emergency in all four counties, and officials in Lake and Volusia imposed curfews in heavily damaged areas to prevent looting. Crist asked President Bush to declare a major disaster in that area of the state in response to the storm damage, according to the AP.