Monday, Sept. 23, 2024
Perfectionist Dr. Dre finally plans to finish anticipated 'Detox.'

New hip-hop, rock may finally drop in 2007

Timbaland dominates buzz, Dre goes into 'Detox,' Guns 'n' Roses tries for 'Chinese Democracy'

There are plenty of indie releases that will come and go this year; with some will shake our world and some will be tossed in the scrap heap. These all could be chronicled, but instead we will focus on some rather high profile releases. A few of these have been highly anticipated for years now, while others are from highly idiosyncratic artists.

Guns 'n' Roses

Check some "Most Anticipated Albums" lists in The Eagle archive from the past 15 years, and there is a good chance that you will find a mention of "Chinese Democracy" on almost all of them. By now, why does anyone get their hopes up for any chance of a new Guns 'n' Roses album? Maybe everyone put their faith in the wretched heart of Axl Rose because they believe that it could be the most epic album ever conceived, as if Meat Loaf, Mozart and Medusa got together one night and jammed. Maybe everyone believes in one of the biggest jerks in the music business because the release of the album will complete the circle of life or have an equally profound effect on the world's population. Or maybe everyone still cares because they know whenever "Chinese Democracy" finally comes out, it will be the costliest musical disaster of the century, and the world will finally be able to sleep in peace again.

Bj?rk

There are few artists who have worn as many masks as Bj?rk over the course of their careers, and with any new album comes a new musical exploration. Her last album (discounting soundtrack work), "Medulla," was almost entirely vocals-based, but for her new as-of-yet-untitled album, set for release in late spring, she is said to have taken a more hip-hop-oriented route. She is also said to have help from super-producer Timbaland, in addition to members of noise-rock groups Lightning Bolt and Antony and the Johnsons. No one knows exactly what to expect from her, but Bj?rk's new album surely won't be a retread of her past hits.

Dr. Dre

Much like "Chinese Democracy," Dr. Dre's "Detox," supposedly his final album, has been talked about since 2000. Perhaps Dre's reputation as a perfectionist explains the numerous delays and even rejections of the album over the years. It was said to be on the shelf for good in 2005, with Dre disciple The Game claiming that his album "Doctor's Advocate" was the closest the world would come to "Detox." But Dre went on Youtube late last year and promised that the album would see the light of day next summer. Unlike "Chinese Democracy," there is actually a feeling, however slight it may be, that "Detox" could be not only a West Coast classic, but a straight-up rap classic, comparable to Dre's two "Chronic" albums.

The Pixies

After being disbanded for over a decade, indie rock influencers The Pixies reunited and went on tour a few years ago. While these shows were a great reminder of what made the band so significant in the late '80s and early '90s, many wondered how The Pixies would sound if the band ever recorded new material. The band has promised to hit the studio this month and finally record its first album since reuniting, almost 20 years after its first album. It is impossible to dismiss The Pixies' influence on burgeoning indie rock fans. While the band may be past its prime, contemporaries such as Mission of Burma and Wire have shown that reunion albums could still show the talent of their older albums, which gives hope to Pixies fans.

Timbaland

Pop music's 2006 MVP may very well have been Timbaland. Between saving Nelly Furtado's career and confirming Justin Timberlake's superstardom, his production work for high-profile pop stars last year was a resurgence for a man who has been in the hip-hop game for over a decade. Although mostly known for his work with rappers and R&B acts in the past, his reclamation of his crown as the most skilled producer in the world came via the pop world, and it doesn't appear that Timbaland plans on forgetting what brought him back to the promised land. However, his new studio album, "Timbaland Presents Shock Value," not only features his pop buddies Furtado and Timberlake but also rappers 50 Cent, Ludacris, Lil' Wayne and Jay-Z. Of course, there are also reports of Fall Out Boy, Chris Martin and even Elton John appearing on the album, set to release in March.