Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Underage ban could limit college students in District

Go-go, punk scene dependent on young crowds

Over the past decade, the District's music scene has been on the rise. Many local artists have climbed the charts and District venues attract performers from across the globe.

However, D.C. council member Jim Graham's "Protection and Safety of Underage Persons Amendment Act of 2007," which proposes keeping patrons under the age of 21 out of establishments that serve liquor after 11 p.m., could severely alter the D.C. music scene.

"This bill sends a strong message to parents, young people and business establishments that D.C. is doing everything possible to keep our children safe," Graham said in a press release on Feb. 6. "It also allows for a responsible, safe environment for entertainment aimed at youth."

On AU's campus, emotions are mixed about the bill's potential passage.

"I think it would be beneficial to the establishments since they wouldn't have to worry about having underage people around people that were consuming alcohol," Kristy Pultorak, a graduate student in the College of Arts and Sciences, said.

But despite benefits for local businesses looking to improve their atmosphere, others disagree with the idea of banning younger patrons from these public venues.

"I think it's a bad idea because people that are 18 to 21 are more likely to do drugs or drink if they are in a private party where there is no oversight, versus a public bar or club that has accountability," Dean Pagonis, a junior in the School of International Service, said.

Nonetheless, community members are concerned about dangers to underage club patrons, especially after the shooting death of 17-year-old Tasha Ford by 19-year-old Jameil MacKabee on Jan. 20 at the 1919 Club on 9th St. NW. The club has since closed its doors, The Eagle previously reported. But some said they disagree with the legislation.

"I think if Jim Graham was successful in simply banning all minors from nightclub venues there would be a tremendous chilling effect on the local music scene," Alec Bourgeois, of Dischord Records, a local music label, said. "Not only do people under the age of 21 support the local music community as audience members, they also make up a sizable portion of the community of musicians as well. D.C. is known in all of the world for its punk and go-go scenes, neither of which would exist without the inclusion of young people," Bourgeois said.

Dante Ferrando, owner of popular music venue the Black Cat, said he is worried how the legislation will affect his business, as well as other venues that attract crowds of all ages.

"This legislation is going to affect people it shouldn't," Ferrando said. "You don't make any money off of the under-21 crowd. They don't purchase liquor. Admitting the under-18 crowd [to the club] is more of a service to the community."

Ferrando said he was concerned about small business owners not being able to afford to jump through new hoops, which would leave out young people. Instead, he said he is hoping to work with Graham to have effective legislation on the docket.

Some local bands are also concerned about the proposed legislation, Ferrando said, because many contracts require bands to perform for all-ages crowds.

"Most of the bands I've spoken to are more outraged at the idea of being shut out of a community they not only belong but which they built," Bourgeois said.

Club owners can choose to admit patrons under 21 by obtaining an Underage Entertainment Permission, which must be approved by the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration director five business days prior to the scheduled event. This can be a short-term license, for six months and a smaller fee, or a long-term license, which carries a weightier fee, according to the Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration.