Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024
Sam Schiro, director of WI's Stress and Health division, discussed the media's role in body image.

Week raises awareness about eating disorders

Personal accounts of struggle, programming focus on body image to reduce prevalence

Different programs marked Eating Disorder Awareness Week at AU, which is meant to inform students about various types of eating disorders and how they can get help through informative workshops dealing with nutrition, fitness and body image.

The objectives of National Eating Disorder Awareness Week are to promote understanding of illnesses such as anorexia, bulimia and binge eating, to make treatment more accessible to those who suffer from them and to prevent people from developing such disorders in the future, according to the National Eating Disorders Association's Web site. This year marks the 20th celebration of National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, taking place Feb. 25 to March 3.

According to Kathy Haldeman, the Health Education Coordinator at the Wellness Center, most universities in the U.S. will have some sort of programming during the week, specifically because many college-aged students are affected by these illnesses.

According to statistics from the National Eating Disorders Association Web site, 80 percent of American women are dissatisfied with their appearance, and as many as 10 million females and 1 million males are fighting an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia.

By these numbers, many students at AU may already have body image problems and even more are at risk for developing them.

"I've noticed many of my peers having trouble with a negative body image, so I'm relieved that AU has eating disorder awareness programs to reach out to these students," said Dania Straughan, a freshman in the School of International Service.

Workshops and presentations began at AU Feb. 20, focusing on body image, nutrition, fitness and personal accounts of what it is like to have an eating disorder.

Amy Bowers, assistant director for outreach and consultation at the Counseling Center, said she was hoping for a good turnout at these workshops, because of the widespread impact of eating disorders and body image concerns.

"Lots of people, men and women, struggle with eating disorders or body image concerns," she said. "So even if you yourself aren't directly affected, you may have a friend who is."

The awareness programs were co-sponsored by the Counseling Center, the Wellness Center, Women's Initiative and the Office of the Dean of Students.