Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Va. law prevents expulsion for suicide attempts

The Virginia state legislature passed an amendment that would prevent colleges and universities in Virginia from expelling students who attempt to commit suicide. AU has no policy on suicide and reviews each case of attempted suicide or self-inflicted harm individually, according to AU's Dean of Students Faith Leonard,.

Virginia's law appears to be the first such regulation in the country, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

The amendment to the Code of Virginia guarantees "no student is penalized or expelled solely for attempting to commit suicide or seeking mental health treatment for suicidal thoughts or behaviors." However, the bill states this does not limit universities from expelling "students who are a danger to themselves, or to others, and whose behavior is disruptive to the academic community," according to Virginia House Bill No. 3064.

The District of Columbia courts had found colleges liable for student's deaths if a suicide attempt is foreseeable, The Eagle previously reported. However, AU does not have a suicide or self-injury policy, Leonard said.

The Office of the Dean of Students addresses each situation that involves students' mental health issues on a case-by-case basis, Leonard said. Because of a wide variety of issues, including history, housing and current treatment, it is impossible to judge all cases in the same manner, Leonard said.

AU has the ability to evict students who were a suicide risk, although it would do so "only in extreme cases." AU would usually not evict a student for attempting to commit suicide, except in cases where drugs were involved, The Eagle previously reported.

Unlike AU, some schools find suicide attempts basis for expulsion.

Jordan Nott, a former student at George Washington University, was banned from campus and threatened with suspension or expulsion after checking into the George Washington University Hospital in October 2004 due to depression and suicidal thoughts, according to The Washington Post. Nott filed suit against the university, claiming "the school violated federal law protecting Americans with disabilities," according to Nott's complaint, The Eagle previously reported.

Nott and the university reached an undisclosed settlement in November 2006. Nott had withdrawn from the university and now attends the University of Maryland, according to The Chronicle of Higher Education.

The AU Counseling Center offers students access to individual counseling, support groups and self-help resources, according to the Counseling Center Web site, to avoid situations such as the one that occurred at GW. They also offer several 24-hour crisis hotline services.

The AU Counseling Center also offers resources for those concerned about others with depression or suicidal tendencies. Students can contact the Counseling Center confidentially by calling (202) 885-3500 or visiting Mary Graydon Center room 214.