Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Alcohol-related death raises concern

The death of a freshman student from alcohol poisoning two weeks ago at Rider University in Lawrence, N.J., has renewed concerns about the prevalence of drinking on college campuses. AU administrators said they are committed to preventing alcohol abuse at AU.

Gary DeVercelly, 18, became sick on the night of March 28 during a Phi Kappa Tau fraternity party and died two days later, after lapsing into a coma, according to a press release by Rider President Mordechai Rozanski.

The press release said the death is "accidental pending police investigation." The fraternity has been placed on administrative suspension, which prevents it from holding social events, said Earle Rommel, a Rider University spokesman.

According to Rider's Web site, open alcoholic beverages are not permitted in unauthorized public places including campus grounds, residence halls, stairwells and other locations.

AU has a dry campus policy, meaning alcohol is not permitted at all on campus, unless sanctioned for special events by the president, provost or a vice president, according to AU's 2006 Annual Security Report.

Depending on previous offenses, punishment for drinking violations at AU range from community service to mandatory alcohol education programs to suspension, according to the AU Public Safety Web site. Criminal violations such as underage drinking, false identification and drunk driving, will be referred to law enforcement, according to Public Safety's Web site.

Nora Powell, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, is the head of community service at the Chi Omega sorority. She said she believes the dry campus policy is flawed.

"I think it causes more problems because when kids get sick, they're less likely to seek treatment," Powell said. "They don't want to get in trouble."

Public Safety statistics show that alcohol use is still prevalent at AU despite the dry campus policy. The 2006 Annual Security Report cites 284 judicial referrals due to liquor law violations on AU's main campus in 2005.

However, the administration is providing help for students in trouble. The Office of the Dean of Students helps student violators through the judicial process as well as securing medical attention, said Sara Waldron, associate dean of students.

Waldron said a health educator specializing in alcohol will be hired soon on the advice of the Middle States Association, an organization which accredits colleges.

The Office of the Dean of Students also works with Greek life on campus, offering safety advice and regulating compliance with AU policy, Waldron said.

According to the office's Web site, Greek organizations lose the university's recognition if they violate university and fraternity policies, which include no underage drinking and limits on hazing. Epsilon Iota and Sigma Omega Alpha are two groups who lost recognition due to these violations. AU discourages students from joining these groups, according to the AU Greek Life Web site.

Powell said Chi Omega has a zero tolerance rule for alcohol on campus, and they make sure to follow the previously mentioned off campus drinking policies.

When rules don't work, persuasion is a method employed by The Naked Truth, or TNT, a group of student peer educators sponsored by the AU Wellness Center who promote risk and health safety on campus. They provide interactive programs for residence halls, classes and clubs, according to their Web site.