Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Campus briefs

AU to host fourth annual 'Night' rally

A march around campus and a candlelight vigil will take place on April 10 as part of AU's fourth annual "Take Back the Night" event, meant to raise awareness about sexual abuse and sexual assault, according to an event press release.

The event will begin at 8 p.m. at Glover Gate, where participants will receive rape whistles and a chant sheet, according to the press release. Participants will then walk around campus making noise, eventually ending up in Kay Spiritual Life Center, where a candlelight vigil will take place, allowing survivors to tell their stories about sexual abuse and assault.

"One of the most incredible things about 'Take Back the Night' is that there are people there all night to listen and support every survivor," Jessica Hollander, program coordinator, said in the press release. "Every survivor is supported at 'Take Back the Night.' Every survivor will be heard."

"Take Back the Night" is sponsored by Women's Initiative, Women and Gender Studies, the GLBT Ally Resource Center, Public Safety and the Office of the Dean.

-KYRA SMERKANICH

Thirty-seven grad, law students qualify as finalists

AU ranked third in the nation for the number of students selected as Presidential Management fellows finalists, according to American Weekly, which reported that 37 graduate and law school students were selected.

The Presidential Management Fellowship is a two-year program created in 1977 by President Jimmy Carter to attract top students from a variety of disciplines to federal service, according to American Weekly.

The School of International Service had the most finalists, with 20 students selected, followed by the Washington College of Law with 10 finalists. The School of Public Affairs had four, the College of Arts and Sciences had two finalists and the School of Communication had one, according to American Weekly.

AU increased its number of finalists from 34 last year, American Weekly reported. AU also beat out other top national schools such as Harvard, Columbia, Princeton and George Washington University. Georgetown and Johns Hopkins ranked above AU with 57 and 40 finalists, respectively.

-K.S.