Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Metro brief:Bill advances to give D.C. mayor control of schools

D.C. City Council members gave preliminary approval Wednesday to a bill that would give D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty control of the city's public school system, according to The Washington Post.

If the council and Congress give final approval of the policy, Fenty would have direct control of the school system with the school superintendent reporting directly to him. The move is similar to plans mayors have implemented in other major cities, including New York. Under the plan Fenty proposed, the council would have the authority to take control of the schools away from the mayor in five years if the system did not show significant improvement during that time, The Post reported.

Prior to the Council's 9-2 vote in favor of the bill, Council Member Jim Graham, D-Ward 1, said he was placing significant trust in Fenty's ability to improve the school system and stop students' movement to private and charter schools, according to The Post.

"This man has an ability to be single-minded. He knows this issue ... has to be in the forefront of his actions," Graham said. "It is the combination of frustration and hope that brings me to a yes vote today"