Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Metro brief: Panel to review D.C. emergency response system

A new panel convened on Tuesday to review long-standing problems with the District's emergency medical system as part of the settlement of a lawsuit the family of slain journalist David Rosenbaum filed against the city, The Washington Post reported.

Rosenbaum died in January 2006 after being wounded in a mugging near his home in Northwest D.C. The emergency personnel who attended to Rosenbaum came under fire because they failed to notice his head injury and did not take him to the hospital nearest to his home, according to the Post.

Rosenbaum's family filed suit against the District and Howard University Hospital, but decided to settle their case with the District in March after Mayor Adrian Fenty, D, promised to make improvements to the emergency response system within one year. The family did not drop its suit against Howard, the Post reported.

The 13-person panel included city officials, experts in the field of emergency response and two representatives of Rosenbaum's family, according to the Post.