Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

National brief: Copycat school threats follow Virginia Tech shooting

Schools and colleges in at least 10 states locked down or evacuated students yesterday in response to threats meant to capitalize on tension following Monday's shootings at Virginia Tech, The Associated Press reported.

Threats at schools in Louisiana, Montana and Washington State were meant to copycat, or alluded to, Monday's shootings, which left 33 people dead. Schools in Arizona, Michigan, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas also reported suspicious activity, according to the AP.

One incident occurred at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, where they evacuated three campus buildings for two hours Tuesday after someone phoned in a bomb threat. Chattanooga's bomb squad found no evidence of any explosives, according to the AP.

Also, a high school in Great Falls, Mont., locked down after a student found a threatening note in a bathroom. The note said there would be a shooting at the school and that it would prove to be "worse than Virginia Tech," the AP reported.