Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Scooters offer thrifty ride

Fuel-efficient solutions for students, District residents

What's hip, saves commuter students tons of money and has two wheels? Motorized scooters, of course, and students who don't ride them could be spending hundreds more than they need to each year.

"Scooters are considered bicycles when it comes to the parking policy," according to Christian Noll, AU transportation operations coordinator. This means scooter drivers don't have to purchase a parking permit.

"Individuals are welcome to drive scooters to campus," Noll said.

Transportation Services defines a scooter as a motorcycle with a platform for the feet and a step-through architecture, according to Noll. Step-through means the part between the driver's legs in front of the seat is lower than the seat. Scooters can be parked at or near bike racks on campus, while actual motorcycles require an annual permit that costs students $328, according to the Transportation Services Web site. The price for car permits is $856.

The money students save driving scooters to campus does not stop at reduced parking costs. Duval Guimaeras, a junior in the School of International Service, said he puts about $4 worth of gas into his scooter every week-and-a-half.

"One day of Metro costs that much," he said.

Scooters also save time. Guimaeras said his commute from northern Arlington takes an hour by Metro, but eight minutes by scooter.

Students can purchase these time and money-saving rides at Vespa Washington, less than two miles from AU at 2233 Wisconsin Ave. The store carries Kymco, Piaggio and Vespa scooters. The 2007 models start at $1,599, $1,999 and $3,199, respectively. Taxes and other fees add to the cost.

Used scooters are available on Craigslist.org. Guimaeras said he found his barely-used black Tour for $1,500 last August. Guimaeras claimed students who don't ride scooters are missing out on a lot.

"It feels like you're free," he said. "I can sing and no one hears. I can go wherever I want. I'm like a kid."

Students who ride scooters might even find a community out there on the roads. Guimaeras said motorcyclists and scooterists all wave a hand or nod their heads when driving by him. Scooterists can find others like themselves in at least two scooter clubs in the D.C. area.

The Saints Scooter Club meets every other Thursday in Del Ray, Alexandria, according to member John Stafford. Michael Garrett, however, claimed the Saints are actually more of a scooter Web site.

"54-46 is the only real scooter club in D.C.," he said.

According to Garrett, members of 54-46, an invitation-only club whose name comes from a Toots and the Maytals song about jail, hang out at the Black Cat a lot and ride vintage scooters. They also attend scooter rallies.

A D.C. rally will bring 200 or more scooterists to the area during prime scooter weather this June, according to Garrett. The event, called Scootergate 2007, features two rides - one through the city and one through Rock Creek Park - as well as social gatherings and a rock show. Scootergate festivities will take place June 1 through 3, but if that's too long to wait, scooter enthusiasts can find rallies in other cities on the Scomo scooter calendar at www.scomo.net/calendar.php.