Senior lacrosse standout steps up in final season at American

The American University women's lacrosse team may have a young team for its 2007 campaign, with over half the team being composed of freshmen and sophomores, but one special upperclassman stands out.

Referred to as "Gorms" by her teammates, Caithlin Gorman is anything but ordinary, on and off the lacrosse field. The only senior on the team, she guides the younger players with a daily demonstration of commitment and love of the sport.

"It's been a really awesome," Gorman said of her experience playing lacrosse at American. "All four years have been great. I'm getting emotional to be leaving."

Gorman also speaks highly of the new coaching staff. After joining AU this spring, Head Coach Katie Woods and Assistant Coach Katie Leland have already made an impact on the team.

"It's such a higher intensity than it used to be," Gorman said of the Woods and Leland. "And they came in with a lot of experience."

Most days of the week consist of 6 a.m. lifting time and practice in the afternoon, leaving the players to balance their schoolwork in between. However, Gorman does not complain about the demanding practice schedule. In fact, she claims that after four years, it is all she knows.

"I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have it," she said.

According to Gorman, the team spends countless hours on the field, and as a testament to how tight-knit the group is, still chooses to get TDR dinner after practice.

With plans to stay in the area after graduating this year, Gorman hopes to visit often, but knows she is leaving the team in good hands. In her final season, she has grown to be an admired leader in the women's lacrosse program, and plans to continue playing the sport after graduation.

"Gorms has developed into a really strong leader for us," Woods said. "She has a refuse-to-lose attitude, which is huge for a senior to have"