Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Students express concern over graduation tickets

Limited seating in Bender Arena will require graduating seniors and their guests to have tickets for the School of Communication, School of International Service, School of Public Affairs and Kogod School of Business commencement ceremonies May 13. The limited number of tickets has caused some seniors to worry about obtaining enough tickets.

Commencement for the College of Arts and Sciences at 1 p.m. will not require tickets. Each student will probably be allowed seven guests per student, according to the AU commencement Web site.

According to the online AU Commencement Guide, the distribution of tickets will likely be five or six per student for the other ceremonies. Students are put onto the list to receive tickets when they purchase their cap and gown.

Kristen Zearfoss, a senior in SOC and SPA, said she is not concerned about tickets but has already received e-mails from classmates who ask if anyone will have extras.

Andrew Danto, also a senior in SOC and SPA, said asking friends is the simplest solution for students who are worried.

"There are always extras floating around come graduation," Danto said. "Ask on Facebook or ask friends who are seniors."

Students who panic over tickets really have little to worry about, said Lisa Arakaki, the co-director of special events.

"I wouldn't say it's an overwhelming issue," she said.

In addition to soliciting friends, Arakaki offered two other tips for anxious students.

One is to take advantage of the ticket lottery. If students pick up less than five or six, they can donate the extras to the Registrar's Office, where tickets are to be put into a lottery during the first two weeks of May. The first draw is on May 9, according to Arakaki.

Another option is "remote viewing." Family members, such as young children or the elderly, who feel uncomfortable in the crowded Bender Arena can view a cable broadcast of the ceremony from Ward 1 and 2. Arakaki said this works for family members who were unable to get tickets.

Limited space is normal at the ceremony since the Bender Arena can only hold a certain number of people, Arakaki said. The ticket distribution is ultimately based on the number of students who rent caps and gowns in April.

For some seniors, graduation tickets are the least of their worries.

Zearfoss and Caroline Barrett, a senior in SPA and CAS, had a list of tasks to accomplish before the end of the year, which included finding a job, finishing her senior paper and finding housing.

According to Danto, the joy of graduating overshadows any anxieties.

"Actually, I'm glad to have the honor of obtaining a college degree, which is something I am immensely proud of," Danto said.