Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Top Ten Reasons We Miss the 1990s

Sure, the 21st century is cool. The iPhone looks like something from a Stephen Spielberg movie and pretty soon, dogs will probably be able to talk. But every now and again, we catch ourselves quietly yearning for simpler times. Despite how recent they were and how young we still are, there are still several reasons to pine for days past. Ten, in fact.

1. TGIF Staying up late and partying is cool and all, but remember when watching TGIF was the highlight of every Friday night? ABC was the source for everything Urkel-related, and oh, how we relished it. With his wacky glasses and incorrigible clumsiness, Jaleel White charmed a generation and acted as the perfect opener for what was sure to be a night of laughs. Round it out with "Hangin' With Mr. Cooper," and you've got yourself a family-friendly, feel-good time. There have definitely been other forgotten gems, though - does anyone even remember "Teen Angel?"

2. Marky Mark for Calvin Klein Let's face it, Calvin Klein is where he is today because of those early '90s billboards featuring a tight-bodied "Marky" Mark Wahlberg. Though destined for '90s pop obscurity, his glorious glutes greatly outshining his vocal mettle, Wahlberg was at least able to show what his momma gave him to better not only fashion, but a designer now oft associated with chic Americana cool. In retrospect, Wahlberg probably owes his silver-screen start to the Klein ads as well. Truly a symbiotic relationship for the ages.

3. Hawaiian Shirts Listen, everyone loves a party animal. Hawaiian shirts may not be the most flattering or even appropriate garment in anyone's wardrobe, but they indicate that a good time is soon to be had. We were all about these airy and carefree shirts in the late '90s, probably thanks to Pac Sun, the shopping mall arbiter of good taste. Hell, let's bring back capri pants, too, and rock out to the sultry sounds of Enrique Iglesias.

4. "Singles" Most of us were probably too young in 1992 to fully appreciate Cameron Crowe's film about young people dealing with life and love in Seattle. However, recent cable broadcasts of the film make us nostalgic for a time when the Smashing Pumpkins were literally the soundtrack to our lives. "Singles" makes a big deal about unmarried couples living together (and it was a big deal in the '90s, right?), reminding us of a not-so-distant past when "Friends" was considered "edgy."

5. Bill Clinton Not to get all political here, but let's hear it for Bill Clinton as America's coolest president. Not only is his major, end-of-the-world scandal something far saucier than, say, a misguided war in the Middle East, but his legacy also includes saxophoning on the Arsenio Hall show and not having downtrodden jowls like all who had come before. Sure, Bill's looking a little old in the mug these days, but that's forgivable when one remembers that this guy is also married to the woman with the most chops on the block these days.

6. "The Kids in the Hall" One complaint most of us probably share about "Saturday Night Live" is the show's inconsistent use of cross-dressing. When we see sketch comedy, we want men in dresses, surreal humor and a little Canadian flair. Luckily for us, "The Kids in the Hall" filled that void, bringing us timeless characters like Cathy and Kathy and Mr. Tyzik the Headcrusher. Oh, and it was a lot funnier than one of cast member Dave Foley's more recent roles, in which he played Lance Bass' boss in "On The Line."

7. Young Adult Fiction Say what you will, but James Joyce is simply no R.L Stine. When we were searching through our elementary school libraries, we were looking for spooky tales of mummies and lawn gnomes, not modernist ramblings. However, young adult fiction really reached its zenith in middle school, when authors threw scandalous stories of broken homes, gang violence, dying of cancer and troubled teens at us like there was no tomorrow. Good thing we had the Internet to keep us grounded.

8. "Willennium" Will Smith assured us the next millennium would finally be the "Willennium" promised by so many holy scriptures. We wanted to believe him. Alas, when "Will2k" eventually came to pass, we found ourselves living in a dark world, where hits like "Uuuhh" and "Wild, Wild West" had turned to dust. Is this how we treat certified double platinum albums in the 21st century?

9. Nickelodeon's Golden Age OK, so a lot of this list has to do with TV. But how else were parents expected to rear their children in this busy era? Fortunately, they had Nicktoons during the day and SNICK at night. The popularity of Nickelodeon shows like "Salute Your Shorts," "Clarissa Explains it All" and the oft-forgotten "Welcome Freshmen" is still abundant today, but let us not forget "Rocko's Modern Life," "Roundhouse," "The Secret World of Alex Mack" and the neglected "Space Cases."

10. Popular Snack Foods Gushers may just be the ultimate metaphor for our '90s childhoods: We, like those squishy Gusher exteriors, were easily malleable. If the elementary school system pushed us too far, our sweet gooey insides came pouring out. If nurtured correctly, though, we provided sugary sustenance to the greater society.

-Compiled by Scene Staff