Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

AU wrestler dies in car crash

Memorial service to be held when school year begins

Jimmy Pepper, a member of AU's wrestling team, died July 31 in a car accident in Columbia, Ill. He was 19.

Pepper, who would have been a sophomore in the Kogod School of Business, was driving on an exit ramp of state Route 3 when he lost control of his car and crashed into a ravine. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Pepper wrestled in the 157-lb. weight class, started in every competition and finished his freshman season with a record of 7-21.

"We are all deeply saddened," said head coach Mark Cody. "Jimmy showed great potential ... this is devastating to the team."

Pepper was not only strong on the mat, but in the classroom as well, coming into AU with a 4.0 high school grade point average and an academic scholarship.

"I talked to a bunch of guys on the team, and they are all taking it in different directions," said redshirt senior Josh Glenn. "It was unnecessary because he was just a great guy ... who brought excitement to every arena, to the wrestling room and even the hotel room. We want to remember him for who he was, and not how he died."

A funeral service was held Aug. 3 at the Kutis South County Chapel in St. Louis, Mo. Plans are being made for a memorial service to be held once students return from summer break, according to the AU Athletics Web site.