Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Guide To: Surviving D.C.

Despite the allure of a good education and endless career opportunities, the District of Columbia also brings peril and hardship. Here are 10 tips to help AU students get around and survive in Washington without looking too much like a tourist.

1. Don't Drive Yourself Insane

Driving in the District is a maddening task best left to the experienced D.C. motorist. In fact, the Washington area has the third-worst traffic congestion in the country, according to a 2005 study by the Texas Transportation Institute. Parking in the District is scarce, expensive and often unsafe. Use public transportation. Besides, freshmen can't have cars on campus, anyway.

2. Stay on Track

Metro is the best form of transportation in the D.C. area, yet can be complex to inexperienced passengers. Access the Transit Authority's Web site, www.wmata.com, to see a route map that can be downloaded to an iPod or printed out. The location of stations and information on fares, delays and route changes are available on this Web site.

3. Find a "Fare" Ride

Can't find a Metro station nearby? Try a taxi. The fare is based on how many city zones you pass through, starting at $4 for a single passenger in a single zone. Drivers may try to inflate fares by driving through multiple zones to take you 10 blocks up the road. Know your destination, the routes and the rate. There's a fare calculator and a zone map at http://citizenatlas.dc.gov/atlasapps/taxifare.aspx.

4. Fight Hunger Pains

The high price of food can be frustrating. A value meal at McDonalds can cost almost $10. Finer restaurants and cafeterias are worse, especially near the Mall. A blogger at Virtualtourist.com suggests avoiding pricy tourist eateries by visiting communities like Dupont Circle (a 10-minute Metro ride from AU). Others suggest a bag lunch or a food cart.

5. Check Safety First

Money is also an incentive for robberies and assaults. As of June 2007, there have been almost 2,000 robberies and 92 homicides in D.C., according to the Metropolitan Police Department's Web site. The MPD suggests becoming familiar with neighborhoods you travel through and your destinations. Generally, eastern D.C. is known for being less safe at night.

6. Be Prepared for Search and Seizure

Safety and security is indeed a critical issue in D.C. Museums and federal buildings have strict security checks at their doors. Go light on backpacks, metal items and dangerous objects such as pocketknives (nothing says "tourist" like the person who holds up the line while being searched).

7. Wait Your Turn

Dealing with long lines and large crowds is important as D.C. locals rush to and from work. Always stand to the right of escalators and be mindful of pedestrians and motorists and allow passengers to get off the Metro before you board.

8. Become a Local

Avoiding popular tourist spots will save you money and frustration. A true D.C. local knows where to find the best-hidden stores, sites and restaurants. The Adams Morgan, Georgetown and Dupont Circle communities are only a few Metro stops from AU. All three offer quaint stores, diverse restaurants and exciting nightlife. Explore.

9. Give to Others

Few tourists see the destitution that many D.C. locals experience in their communities. AU offers numerous volunteer activities including DC Reads, a program that allows students to tutor District school children. Find out more at the Community Service Center's Web site, http://www.american.edu/ocl/volunteer/.

10. "Weather" the Changes

Despite its Mid-Atlantic location, the D.C. climate can be erratic and extreme. Built on a swamp and neighboring the Chesapeake Bay, the weather ranges from unbearable heat in the summer to moderately cold in the winter. D.C. locals will experience various forms of weather that often change dramatically on a daily basis. Check the weather reports.