Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Guide To: The Masonic Library

When most AU students get off at the Dupont Circle and U Street/Cardozo Metro stops, they are there for the nightlife. However, there's another reason to head to the area: the House of the Temple of the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite.

The Scottish Rite is a Mason affiliated organization, like the Shriners. But before writing off the Scottish Rite as a cult that is most appropriate in a Dan Brown novel, know that the group is really a fraternity.

"I'm in a sorority, and we have more secrecy than they do," said tour guide Courtney Barth, an intern and junior at George Washington University.

Like all fraternal organizations, the members cannot talk about the inner-workings of the society with non-members, but the Masons are an open book and welcome visitors.

"Even if you don't have but 15 minutes to come look around to make sure nothing strange is happening, we'd love to have you," said Sovereign Grand Commander Ronald Seale, whose office is in the building. He describes his job as "CEO of the Scottish Rite."

"I want people to know what it is and what it is not," he said. "What it is is the world's largest men's fraternal organization. It's an organization of good men banded together for self-improvement. It is not occult, it is not secret, but it is confidential."

To know what Masonry is really about, the House of the Temple is the place to go. The building may look out of place from the outside- an architectural marvel designed by John Russell Pope, the brains behind the Jefferson Memorial and the West Building of the National Gallery- in the middle of a residential neighborhood. It was designed as a replica of the tomb of King Mausolus, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.

The walls of the atrium are decorated in the style of a Greek temple, and the floor is marble. The temple room features a hand laid marble mosaic floor, Italian velvet curtains that weigh over 400 pounds and a large altar showcasing the holy books of the five most-practiced religions in the world. The entire building is decorated with Masonic symbolism, like the number 33, double headed eagles and the square and compass.

The library could be a visit on its own. It was the first public library in D.C. and still remains open to the public. It features over a quarter million volumes, focused mainly on Masonry. The library boasts an impressive collection of primary sources on Abraham Lincoln, though he was not a Mason. The Robert Burns Library, named for the poet, is also a part of the collection and contains the works of and books about the poet laureate of Masonry.

"Our goal is to preserve and continue to collect Masonic volumes," said librarian Larissa Watkins.

Another highlight of the library is its unique structural elements, like its rounded wall and rolling ladders. The collection also includes a copy of "Sermones temper et de Sanctis" by Albertus Magnus, printed in 1479, and a copy of Anderson's Constitutions, the central tenants of Freemasonry, printed by Benjamin Franklin.

The building has many self-contained museums within it. The Americanism Museum showcases items related to American Masonry, including possessions of famous Masons. It houses Arnold Palmer's putter and the original cornerstone of the White House.

There are individual rooms displaying the possessions and lives of famous Masons J. Edgar Hoover, Burl Ives and others. Burl Ives' room notably features the original snowman he voiced in the popular Christmas stop-motion film "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." Rooms exhibiting the Masons' noteworthy philanthropy, Masonic regalia and portraits of famous Masons, including Roy Rogers and Audie Murphy, can be found in the House of the Temple as well.

The House of the Temple is located on 16th Street N.W. between R and S streets. It is open from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. the first Saturday of every month. Tours are free and available all day - and at whatever pace you wish to explore the building. The library is open from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and the first Saturday of every month. More information is available on their Web site at www.scottishrite.org.