Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Know your city: Take Washington by storm

Your weekly dose of informative, engaging activities in the District

Thursday, Aug. 30

Deerhunter, Clockcleaner at the Black Cat

These Atlanta-based soundscape artists are coming up big. Take a chance and spend $10 on a genuine indie rock experience at the Black Cat. Doors open at 9 p.m. for this backstage show.

Friday, Aug. 31

"Halloween" opens

"Halloween," directed by Rob Zombie, is sure to be a satisfying remake of the 1978 John Carpenter slasher. If anyone can save the horror genre, it's Rob Zombie.

"10 Plants That Saved the World" at the National Botanical Gardens

Aren't you curious to see what the 10 plants are? Our guess is Venus flytraps. Dr. W. Hardy Eshbaugh is giving this free public lecture from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., and it's guaranteed to be magical.

Saturday, Sept. 1

'60s Garage and Soul dancing at the Black Cat

Garage and Soul night at the BC, otherwise known as WAG, is always an instant classic. Get your soulful freak on with innumerable local hipsters backstage for $5. The grooving starts at 9:30 p.m.

VHS or Beta at the Rock and Roll Hotel

Come hear VHS or Beta perform with a full band with opening acts Walter Meego and The Vita Ruins. Doors open at 9 p.m. $12 will get you access to this aural assault. Call Klem for a Union Station pickup from Atlas Shuttle at 301-751-1802, and don't forget to give him a tip for the free ride.

Sunday, Sept. 2

Nationals vs. Giants at RFK Stadium

For $10, students can get a $5 ticket and a $5 Metro card from Student Activities. If Barry Bonds plays, there's a chance an AU student will catch the next record-breaking home run ball.

The Official Birthday Party for the Godfather of Go-Go at 9:30 club

Although it's a little pricey at $25, this birthday party for local legend Chuck Brown should provide attendees with a glimpse of go-go beyond the stereotypes and five-gallon drum street musicians. Don't forget a present!

Monday, Sept. 3

Navy Band Concert at U.S. Navy Memorial

In a world filled with unpredictability, you can always count on the Navy Band. Who knows what they're going to play? "Whoop There It Is?" No doubt this will be a classy performance.

Labor Day delayed trash pickup

For those students living in off-campus housing, don't forget that trash pickup will be delayed by one day. Hopefully, there will be enough room in your recycling bin for refuse from the day's festivities.

Tuesday, Sept. 4

HBO Lucky 21 Regionals at DC Improv Comedy Club

Come out to see the winners of improv competitions from Tennessee to Ohio compete nationally in Las Vegas. For $15, you can maybe laugh.

Wednesday, Sept. 5

Growlin', howlin' Appalachian punk folkers O'Death at the Black Cat will rouse you with their Civil War-era gospel stylings. Though they are the opening act, O'Death is sure to be worth your $10.