Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Campus Brief

Red Shipley retires after 25 years at WAMU

Red Shipley, host of the show "Stained Glass Bluegrass" on WAMU 88.5, will retire Sept. 16 after hosting the show for 25 years, according to an e-mail sent to the AU community by Kay Summers, director of public information for the radio station.

"'I want to retire while I'm at the top of my game,'" Shipley said, according to Summers' e-mail. "'It's been a great 25 years.'"

Shipley has worked in the broadcast radio industry for more than 50 years, largely for programs that play bluegrass gospel. He worked for several radio channels in Virginia before coming to WAMU in August of 1982, Summers said.

Shipley's show has truly been the anchor of the station's Sunday programming for some time, said Jen Hitt, the music programming manager at WAMU.

"We are definitely indebted to Red for all of his years of service," she said.

The International Bluegrass Music Association named Shipley its Broadcaster of the Year in September 2006, according to Summers.

Shipley's last show will be on Sept. 16 from 6 to 10 a.m. Bob Webster, who currently works on the show with Shipley, will take over as the new host Sept. 23.

-KIM SELMAN