Monday, Oct. 21, 2024
THE YEAR AHEAD - John Cipriani, president of the College Democrats, speaks at the group's first meeting of the year. The group plans to visit New Hampshire and Kentucky to campaign for the presidential candidates.

College Dems reveal plans for N.H., Ky. campaigning

The AU College Democrats highlighted a number of upcoming events and the club's stance on some campus issues during its first meeting Wednesday evening.

College Democrats President John Cipriani started the meeting with a speech highlighting political events that led to the Democratic takeover of the House of Representatives and the Senate last November.

As students cheered, Cipriani, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Public Affairs, revealed upcoming events.

Members of College Democrats can look forward to trips to New Hampshire and Kentucky to work at the primary elections. At the elections, everyone will be able to work for a candidate of their choice.

The trips are a "nice departure from academic democracy," said Outreach Director Josh Goodman, a senior in the School of International Service.

Students who want to be involved locally also have the opportunity to campaign for Democratic candidates.

Courtney Higgins, a sophomore in SPA, said she has been campaigning for Barack Obama. She was excited for Obama's upcoming speech in D.C., which is scheduled to occur Tuesday.

"The main focus right now is getting a huge group together for his speech," she said.

Besides campaigning, the College Democrats plan to hold some events in the dorms. A party to watch the Democratic presidential candidates' debate on Sept. 26 will kick off this campaign.

Another way for students to get involved is through continuing the dorm captains and floor representatives program. These students will be in charge of putting up fliers and publicizing events.

College Democrats are also adding an online publication, the American Blueprint. Vice President Casey Oakes, a junior in SPA, said the newsletter will cover relevant issues on campus and in the District. Oakes said they were "worried about having the first meeting later in the year, but the turnout was great" with about 100 students in attendance.

Caitlin Cooney, a sophomore in CAS, said she was excited about the College Democrats' programs for the year.

"There are a lot of great events to look forward to," she said.