Cross country finishes 5th at Iona Meet of Champions

The men's cross country team traveled to the Bronx, N.Y., Saturday to compete in Iona College's Meet of Champions against 16 other colleges and universities. Among the participating schools were Brown, Navy and Harvard.

With three runners finishing in the top 20, AU placed a strong fifth overall behind Iona, Brown, Penn State and Navy. The Eagles had seven runners competing in the race who brought in a team score of 120.

The top-finishing runner for AU was Steve Hallinan. The senior from Drexel Hill, Penn., had a time of 25:03.0, earning him second place overall. However, it was no surprise for the team and their fans to see the runner with such a strong finish.

For the second meet in a row, he was AU's top finisher for the men.

The team's other top competitors included junior Carlos Jamieson and senior Brendan Fennell. Jamieson earned 10th place with a time of 25:39.20, while Fennell's time of 25:48.40 placed him 12th.

All other members earned themselves spots in the top 102 finishers out of a field of 205 runners.

Next Friday the team will hit the road again to travel to Manassas, Va., to compete at the George Mason Invitational.