Eagle's cross country opens season with first and second place

The AU cross country teams began their 2007 season on Friday with a great start. Both a first place finish for the women's team, and a second place finish for the men's team at the Mount St. Mary Invitational, put the Eagles in a good starting position for the season.

Eight of the Eagles on the men's team finished in the top 25 runners, including three who were in the top 10. Senior Brian McCabe's time of 16:14.57 earned him second in the 57-person field. Close behind was freshmen Conor Sullivan, who placed fifth with a time of 16:28.31. Sophomore Greg Leach rounded out the Eagles' top 10 performers with a time of 16:39.06, which got him 10th in the field.

It was all about the upperclassmen on the women's side. The ladies swept the field 5-0 in the head-to-head competition. Like last year, the AU women's team earned a one-two finish at the meet. Beginning her senior season, Kate Lilley placed first for the second year in a row with a time of 18:50.45. Other high finishers were senior Cathleen Ford with a time of 19:06.87, earning her a second place finish, and sophomore Greta Wicklund who placed eighth with her best career endtime of 20:15.99. Meghan Mason, Melissa Tabas and Mary Jane Egan were among other top 25 finishers for the AU women's team.

The Eagles will travel to The Plains, Va., this Saturday for the Great Meadows Invite.